Leo Kottke – The Best
- Originally re-released back in June 1995 by BGO, this release was possibly
one of our all-time biggest sellers and will hopefully continue being so.
It has been allocated its old catalogue number (BGOCD277) as many of you may
still have it on yourcomputer systems under this number. This double CD comprises
the very best of Leo’s Capitol recordings from 1971 to 1976
- Acoustic guitar virtuoso Leo Kottke has a small but devoted fan base who
has elevated him and his six- and 12-string acoustic guitar playing to cult-level.
Born in 1945 in Athens, Georgia, Kottke tried his hand at everything from
the violin to the trombone. Early on, he developed a love for country-blues
and began experimenting with the genre in his spare time, and, although without
much of his hearing in his left ear due to a firecracker accident, he released
several folk-touched albums for obscure US labels
- By 1971 Kottke had signed to Capitol Records, where he produced several
exceptional albums. His first, ‘Mudlark’, came out in 1972, and
was critically praised for his prowess at eking varied sounds from the acoustic
guitar, from furious 12-string riffs to the lingering chords of slow ballads
- Kottke and Capitol parted ways in 1976, and the musician signed with Chrysalis.
The initial commercial profits began to shrink, but Kottke’s work continued
to improve, with the releases of ‘Live In Europe’ (1980), ‘Guitar
Music’ (1981) and ‘Time Step’ (1983)
- Also available on BGO: BGOCD101 Mudlark;BGOCD50 Greenhouse;BGOCD146 Ice Water; BGOCD132 Dreams And All That Stuff;BGOCD148 Chewing Pine; BGOCD362 Did You Hear Me;BGOCD257 Leo Kottke;BGOCD134 My Feet Are Smiling; BGOCD259 Burnt Lips;BGOCD263 Balance; BGOCD265 Live In Europe;BGOCD261 Guitar Music;BGOCD255 Timestep
Machine No. 2 • Cripple Creek • Bouree • When Shrimps Learn To Whistle • Bill Cheatham • The Song Of The Swamp • Last Steam Engine Train • Bean Time • The Spanish Entomologist • Short Stories • Hole In The Day • Mona Roy • Venezuela, There You Go • Monkey Lust • Busted Bicycle • June Bug • Eggtooth • Stealing • Living In The Country/Medley: (a) Crow River Waltz; (b) Jesu, Joy Of Man’s Desiring; (c) Jack Fig • Standing In My Shoes • Bumblebee • Eight Miles High • Tilt Billings And The Student Prince • Pamela Brown • Standing On The Outside • Power Failure